Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Its Culture, Stupid" and More

After reading the class articles I wanted to focus on the “Its Culture, Stupid”. Some interesting points were brought up in that article; such as the one about narrative media having the capacity to reinforce negative stereotypes. Although this concept is relatively common sense, we do not realize how true it is until we bring forth examples. By constantly talking about something like war, the other side becomes a personal enemy not just nation wide. For example, to this day, to the majority of the people the German language is seen as “ugly”. Although many say it is because it sounds ugly, don’t you think that the narrative media all the way back during World War II brought this unconscious not liking to the German language?

Another interesting point that was made in this article is that minds can’t be changed through direct confrontation but through complex process involving emotion and empathy. Think about it, people are more prone to crying when watching a movie than in real life. We associate our emotions to that of the character which intensifies the scenario. So, if a movie portrays an idea that we are against, if we watch it, we might chew on the “other side of the argument” much more than if somebody came towards us and started arguing about it. 

One last interesting point is how creative expressions can help build bridges across cultures and facilitate understanding of cultural differences. Just by smiling we can learn so much about another culture or person. 

Besides the article, we had ethnography presentations in class. Ours was about the difference between Howard University and American. The second group presented on whether there was a culture to the “Dav”. I only went to the Dav once with my roomate and to be honest I was too nervous to order anything because I felt out of place. Listening to the presentation I learned more about the Dav and that although there is no “culture” there is a distinction between those who are regulars and the new comers. After learning about that, I probably will go back to the Dav and see whether I notice the things they did and if I would feel more comfortable ordering a dirty chai!

3 comments:

  1. I think the statement that you made about how "the other side becomes a personal enemy not just nation wide" was an insightful and interesting one. Often in class I feel that we defer to states as unified, represented by one voice and one opinion. We acknowledge that this is obviously not the case, and that any group is comprised of individuals. However, I often find that it is easier to talk about the vague concepts we discuss in class, in reference to nation-states so as to simplify the debate. However, by doing this, we lose the "personal" that is integral to discussions on communication and culture. That is why I found the article's discussion of emotions and empathy and their affect on people's views just as interesting as you. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to go past the simplistic categories that the nation-state provides, to discern how cross-cultural communication is effected at the individual level. Overall, good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow there's so many interesting points in this post I don't know where to begin.
    I went to Germany when I was a kid and I remember my mom purposely telling me the language was not ugly, as if I already had that perception. Props to my mom for trying to instill a cultural sensitivity in me at a young age, but at the same time it was a little weird that she assumed that in the first place. Anyway, I remember her saying that the misconception was from World War II.
    Oh and I like what you said about people being more prone to crying at movies than in real life. That is such a cool point. I know I didn't cry when my dog died, but I practically wailed at "Because of Wynn-Dixie". (Disclaimer: the dog didn't die in that movie. It was just lost for a little while.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It such interesting that allisonardlotta talked about your being in Germany when you were a little kid and also the concerning that your dog died and you did not cry. It just similar to my stoy. My father worked in the Embassy in Germany such long time ago over 20 years ago. I also had a chance to study there 3 months with language, but honestly I did not like the language because it is too hard even though I speak Russian. The end I made dicision that would stopped study it at the time, and it was in 2003. But now again I want to change my mind to continue study it here. I am very exited that I will take it next semester. Taking cross-cultural communication has helped me to question myself that how German communicates through European countries, as I could remember only "Ich liben Ditch" when I was there for 3 months. Yes, since I attnded our professor's Diplomacy Conference several weeks ago. I heard the UNESCO's Ambassdor said that "Culture is everything." From that point, in my mind now always desired me want to cover everything that surrounding me everywhere we go to and be. I want to know everything that I still do not know yet. I do not want to give up of what I have been through and not completely done it.
    I want to know more about how how German- speaking Europe. As we learn in the class that the language reflects its culture. Therefore, the purpose for my continuing with German language is that I want to find out more about this culture which I still have many questions in my mind back that time till now. Defenitely German language is significant to communicate in Europe. This class not only helping me to gain knowledge of cross-cultural communication, but also entire of today's globalization.

    ReplyDelete