Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Ethnography Reflection

When the idea of an ethnography project was first introduced in the beginning of the year, I was daunted by the task, partially because I did not really understand what we were being instructed to do. Once my group decided on Howard University, I was a little bit intimidated and anxious, as seen by our explanations of our stereotypes of the university. I even remember feeling a little bit sick to my stomach on the ride there from nerves.

Once we got there, it was a completely different story. We really did not know where we were or what we were doing. Thomas had called ahead and had learned that there was a shuttle to campus. The shuttle was late and students began gathering around us, some staring. Once the shuttle arrived, we began casually chatting with the people on the bus and I found myself becoming more at ease, especially when I was reunited with my childhood friend, Lindsey.

When we got off the bus, people noticed that we looked lost and helped us find our way. Once we were in the dining area, it felt like we were just getting lunch at a new place. We noticed our surroundings, sure, but most people do that when they are in a new environment. I even felt awkward taking notes because I felt that I was using the people around me as test subjects when they could end up being potential friends.

The way people acted there put me at ease. I had already been homesick and having people around me behaving as though we were in the South made me feel as if I was back home.

Overall, the experience was a positive one. Our group bonded and even made plans to meet up after the project was done. I am truly glad to have had this experience, one that I will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment