Wednesday, November 4, 2009

U and W curves which ones affects us more?

First of all, Nakayama and Martin define the U-curve theory as: "A theory of cultural adaptation positing that migrants go through fairly predictable phases -- excitement/anticipation, shock/disorientation, adjustment -- in adapting a new cultural situation" (327). Yet, once one has experienced the U-curve there is the other half, known as the W-curve theory. This is defined as: "A theory of cultural adaptation that suggests that sojourners experience another U curve upon returning home" (331). 

Coming to the United States was not much of a culture shock to begin with. I sort of expected to feel different, after all, its not my hometown, nor am I in any way culturally the same. Just by sheer fact that I come from a relatively collectivistic country, I knew I had to not greet people by kissing them on the cheek. However, that does not mean other things shocked me. Anybody who is visiting a foreign country does expect to be shocked so, they enter with the knowledge of being more observant of their actions and those of others. As mentioned previously, people have a space bubble in the United States which does not exist in Morocco. By being aware of the small cues, its is easier to fit in. Also, when one travels to a foreign country, and after the shock/disorientation phase of the U-curve; one realizes how much home meant to them. For example, I wish I continued by belly dancing skills so that I could teach my friends more than just the basic hip movements. 

Yet, as a freshman, in December I am going to go back home and experience something that will not be expected which is the W-curve. This brings up the question about which one affects us more. Since we are prepared for a culture shock when we go to a foreign nation, the U-curve is not as steep. Whereas, when we think "I am going home" we are subconsciously believing that everything is going to be the exact way we have left it. Whilst staying in a foreign country, we learn more about our "homeland". We do not realize that when we go back we are going to go with an adjusted pair of eyes. 

Word of advice? Remember that although you are going home, prepare yourself as though going to a foreign country. That way, you do not have to live another, stronger, culture shock than you did upon entering the foreign country. 

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you that the W curve affects us more. Although I have not yet gone home, since I am a freshman, I have heard from my friends that going home is a very strange transition. As Thanksgiving break is fast approaching I am beginning to get excited about going home, but I have to keep reminding myself that it is not going to be the same as when I left it because I have changed and my friends and surroundings have also changed. As you said, the culture shock when coming to college is something that is expected so it is much easier to deal with because you come prepared. But most people do not expect to have any kind of shock when returning home, they think of home as something stable and unchanging. For my friends that have already gone home, they said it was a shock. One of my friends even said she felt like a stranger in her own home. This is one of the things that is so hard about coming to college as you begin to feel pulled in two different directions and you are not sure where you really belong.

    ReplyDelete