Friday, September 25, 2009

Being Biracial...

One part of the reading that really intrigued me was the majority, minority and biracial identity development stages. My mother is American, born in upstate NY; while my dad is Moroccan, with American citizenship since he was born in Boston. At the age of 3, my father's family moved back to Morocco and lived there until he moved back to the United States for university. 
What did that result to, years after my parents met? Me. I'm half-American, half Moroccan; holding passports for both Morocco and the United States. 
By reading the biracial identity development stages, I came to realize that I was reading about myself. As a kid, my friends would frequently come up to me and tell me which I preferred being more, American or Moroccan. I was offended, because I am both. Even in our school yearbook I would make sure that for my nationality, they stated both countries. 
Yet, growing up things were difficult. I could never really "fit" in. I really did not care if Morocco lost its soccer game, or that the Patriots lost. While those who were "full American" or "full Moroccan" would go biserck.  I never felt fully devoted to one country; but over the years I became proud of this. Now, I am proud to be from both nations, having two drastically different cultures. I feel like I have an easier time making friends from other nations. Also, I'm proud to tell anyone who asks about both cultures. 
All in all, although I still get the frequent question "So do you prefer being American or Moroccan" I don't get offended but instead state that both are part of who I truly am. And, as in "Intercultural Communication in Contexts" states, I've reached the third level -- self acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment