Friday, September 25, 2009

Language is significant in cross-cultural communication!

So learning another language like adopt or learning another culture, it is not easy. As in the article "How does our language shape the way we think?" by Lera Borodisky, "learning a new language (especially one not closely related to those you know) is never easy; it seems to require paying atention to a new set of distinctions." It is similar how we recognize a different culture through language. When we comunicate we have to share our ideas, thoughs and feeling or perceive informations by using language. Language will help us less misunderstanding each other. Such as when I first came here to the U.S. I had a big issue in communication with people. Because the way I speak English is the way how my culture is and that is different with people speaking English in the U.S. . I created my own way to use English and people have misunderstood about me. Now I have been living here in U.S. for four years. I am trying to learn the way Americans speak and use English so that they can have a better understanding when I want to say something; or I would be able to share my thoughts and ideas. I realize that I am adopting U.S. culture through learning English and using it everyday. But it is extremely difficult at first as well as having long term to be able to use English as Native people.

No comments:

Post a Comment